we are here to answer your needs
Yes, HotEdge is the first and only company to complete the rigorous process necessary to test and certify an entire roof edge ice melt system. We are proud to provide our customers with the added comfort that their metal panel system is UL Listed and bears the UL Certificate of Compliance.
Other roof edge ice melt panel systems might have some accessories from their “parts suppliers” that are UL listed, but there is an important distinction. A roof edge ice melt panel system that only lists heat cable and accessories does not qualify for UL Listing as a system. In fact, the UL certification, often taken from other companies for some of the parts they use, may no longer qualify for the UL safety certification once it’s put into a full ice melt system. This is because the system has never been tested in the UL laboratories.
Buyer Beware: Consumers should be aware of false representations made by some companies that their “systems” are UL certified. To see our UL certification please go directly to the UL website at www.ul.com. Scroll to bottom of home page and click on “Online Certifications Directory”. If they appear, be sure to look at what is listed. Some companies try to point to several accessories purchased from someone else instead of referring to their own system. Please feel free to contact us or UL directly regarding any related questions.
Again, if the entire system is not certified, there is no assurance all of the components will function together in a safe and effective manner. The UL (Underwriters Laboratories) logo, as seen on our home, is on most of the electrical products you use each day for a reason. The “UL” logo gives inspectors, installers, contractors, electricians, architects, homeowners, and building owner’s peace of mind knowing that all the components have been thoroughly tested as an entire system. HotEdge takes safety very seriously, which is why we’ve undergone testing with UL over the course of several years for our metal panel systems.
Yes, the heat cable in all HotEdge systems is always exposed to comply with Article 426 of the National Electric Code. The only other concept that could be considered NEC compliant is the concept of laying heat cable on your roof edge in a zig-zag pattern.
- Simple, Low Cost to Purchase and Install, Low Cost to Operate, Easy to Maintain, Easy to replace Heat Cable, UL Listed, and Effective.
- Zig Zag Heat Tape
- Simple, Low Cost to Install, Higher Energy Consumption (2x minimum), Difficult to Maintain, Requires Penetration to Roof Deck (which voids most asphalt shingle warranties), Not Visually Appealing for Most, Does Not Heat Edge on a Continuous Basis and Rarely Effective.
- Aluminum Extruded Tracks
- Complex, High Cost to Purchase and Install, Higher Cost to Operate (2x minimum), Require 2-3x more Heat Cable to Function, Not a Direct Heat Transfer, Difficult to Maintain, Requires Penetration to Roof Deck, Not a UL Listed System, Effective.
- Silicon Heat Mats, Z-Mesh, etc
- High Cost to Install as a Retrofit System, Higher Energy Costs (3x), Cost Prohibitive to Maintain (the owner of HotEdge, Inc. had installed a heated roof mesh mat on his own home before setting up HotEdge, Inc and he did not want to remove his roof deck to access the mesh mats and repair them), Effective, Visually Out of View.
- Easyto Call a Company to Get on Your Roof and Shovel Off Snow and Ice, High Cost Band-Aid, Problem Remains Unsolved, Risk of Damaging Roof Deck, Often Makes Roof Ice Problems Greater since you are Removing an Insulating Barrier (Snow Pack) for Snow Melt.
- Insulating Attic
- High Cost to Install, No Energy Costs, Results Vary (many homeowners contact us stating that insulating their attic did not resolve their roof ice problems), No Maintenance, and Visually Out of View.
- Cold Roof System
- High Cost to Install, Difficult to Install Properly, Problems May Persists as a Result of Ambient Temperatures, Effective, and No Maintenance.
The benefit of laying heat cable on your roof edge in a zig-zag pattern is cost of installation ONLY! What most do not consider until it is too late is that zig-zag is plagued with problems. The following will further help you understand why this option might become an obsolete option within 10 years:
- Laying heat cable on your roof edge in a zig-zag pattern is not able to heat your roof edge on a continuous basis.
- The heat cable is not protected from UV light, shovel, and picks.
- The heat cable in plain view is not architecturally pleasing to most.
- Everyone knows (especially installers) it is a maintenance nightmare in that it often needs to be reinstalled after every spring thaw.
- When roof clips are applied to hold the heat cable in place, this penetrates the asphalt shingles and the warranty becomes void.
- This concept requires 4x more heat cable than a HotEdge system making the monthly energy costs to operate AT LEAST 30% higher.
Virtually never. All our systems are engineered to be installed on any roof structure with no roof penetrations required.
On a metal roof, our HotEdge system can be installed any time of the year; winter, spring, summer, and fall. The HotEdge system is installed below the existing metal drip edge. This region is typically free of ice build-up making it possible for year-round installations.
For asphalt shingle, wood shake, cedar shingle, metal tile, and concrete tile roofs, the roof edge must be free of snow and ice build-up in order to properly install the HotEdge solution.
All HotEdge systems are so simple to install you can rely on an existing local relationship you have, i.e. an electrician, roofing company, general contractor, remodeling company, etc. If you do not have an existing relationship, we are happy to offer information of companies in your area whom have installed our systems in the past.
The HotEdge system is the most energy efficient roof edge ice melt system available. Period. To better understand the energy savings operating the HotEdge system over all other roof edge ice melt systems, Visit an energy calculator to compare. From a SINGLE (not 2 or 3 heat cable runs) 12W self-regulating UL Listed heat cable heat is transferred DIRECTLY to the existing metal roof. A direct heat transfer used in the HotEdge system is more efficient than exposed zig-zag ice melt cable laying on a roof deck or an extruded metal design where heat must pass through several layers of metal, hence, 2-3 runs of heat cable is typically required on all competing systems to achieve the same result realized from a single heat cable run on all HotEdge systems.
All roof ice prevention systems require maintenance since the UL Listed 12W self-regulating heat cable comes with a 10-year half life warranty. This means the heat tape will eventually need to be replaced. HotEdge roof ice melt system is designed for easy heat tape replacement. To replace heating cable on the HotEdge system, simply loosen (not remove) the self tapping screws in the vertical slots holding the HotEdge Shingle or Rail to the fascia. Once loosened, heat tape or cable can be easily removed and replaced. On all other HotEdge systems, simply remove and replace heat cable!
Seller will transfer to Buyer any Product warranties and indemnities authorized by the manufacturer, including any transferable warranties and indemnities for intellectual property infringement. Seller warrants to Buyer that Products purchased hereunder will conform to the applicable manufacturer’s specifications for such products and that any value-added work performed by Seller on such Products will conform to applicable Buyer’s specifications. If Seller breaches this warranty, Buyer’s remedy is limited to (at Seller’s election) (1) refund of Buyer’s purchase price for such Production (without interest), (2) repair of such Products, or (3) replacement of such Products; provided that such Products must be returned to Seller, along with acceptable evidence of purchase, within 20 days from date of delivery, transportation charges prepaid. No warranty will apply if the Product has been subject to misuse, static discharge, neglect, accident or modification, or has been soldered. Our limited warranty does not cover damage to the HotEdge Ice Prevention System due to any cause not expressly covered herein. After our Product leaves our manufacturing facility, it is subject to conditions and handling beyond our control that could affect performance. This warranty does not cover any problems with nondefective Product(s) caused by conditions or handling beyond our control. Some examples of conditions not covered by this warranty include:
1. Acts of God, such as hail storms and high winds.
2. Damage to or failure of the underlying roof and gutter structure.
3. Damage caused by people or objects falling on the Product.
4. Discoloration or rusting due to normal exposure to the elements.
5. Improper or faulty installation of the Product by a third party installer.
6. Damage caused by adjustments made to the Product at or after installation.
7. Improperly designed or installed roofs, gutters or downspout systems.
8. Any costs you incur that are not authorized in advance by HotEdge.
SAVE AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED IN THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS (WHETHER STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE) ARE EXCLUDED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. IN PARTICULAR, SELLER MAKES NO WARRANTY RESPECTING THE MERCHANTABILITY OF THE PRODUCTS OR THEIR SUITABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS AND WARRANTIES AGAINST LATENT DEFECTS. TO THE EXTENT THAT THIS WARRANTY IS INCONSISTENT WITH LOCAL LAWS, THIS WARRANTY SHALL BE DEEMED MODIFIED TO BE CONSISTENT WITH SUCH LOCAL LAW.
This warranty may not be changed or modified.
Limitations of Liability: BUYER SHALL NOT BE ENTITLED TO, AND SELLER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR, LOSS OF PROFITS OR REVENUE, PROMOTIONAL OR MANUFACTURING EXPENSES, OVERHEADS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION COST, LOSS OF DATA, REMOVAL OR REINSTALLATION COSTS, INJURY TO REPUTATION OR LOSS OF BUYERS, PUNITIVE DAMAGES, ANY PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE CLAIMS, IPR INFRINGEMENT, LOSS OF CONTRACTS OR ORDERS OR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY NATURE. BUYER’S RECOVERY FROM SELLER FOR ANY CLAIM SHALL NOT EXCEED THE PURCHASE PRICE PAID FOR THE AFFECTED
PRODUCTS IRRESPECTIVE OF THE NATURE OF THE CLAIM WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, WARRANTY, OR OTHERWISE. BUYER WILL INDEMNIFY, DEFEND AND HOLD SELLER HARMLESS FROM ANY CLAIMS BASED ON (A) SELLER’S COMPLIANCE WITH BUYER’S DESIGNS, SPECIFICATIONS, OR INSTRUCTIONS, (B) MODIFICATION OF ANY PRODUCTS BY ANYONE OTHER THAN SELLER, OR (C) USE IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER PRODUCTS.
An ice dam is a ridge of ice that forms at the edge of a roof and prevents melting snow (water) from draining off the roof. The water that backs up behind the dam can leak into a home and cause damage to walls, ceilings, insulation, and other areas. Figure 1 shows a cross section of a home with an ice dam. UL Certificate of Compliance #E336195