Most homeowners are well-aware of the traditional types of roofing materials such as wood shakes, clay tiles, asphalt shingles, and metal. There are, however, a variety of other roofing materials that may be less well-known but are just as attractive an option as these more common types. One such material that has been inspected and approved by the Tile Roofing Industry Alliance is concrete roof tiles.
Concrete roof tiles have been in existence since the 19th century when builders in Bavaria began using them and praising their exceptional durability. When you want a tiled roof but do not think clay tiles are the option that suits the right climate, you may want to consider concrete tiles.
What Are Concrete Roof Tiles?
Clay and concrete roof tiles have some similarities, but concrete tile roofing stands apart in significant ways. Concrete tiles are made from sand, cement, water, and iron oxide (for coloring) all mixed together, molded, and heated. They are weather-resistant and water-resistant, so you can trust that your concrete tiles will be able to withstand hail, snow, rain, and other harsh weather elements that may affect your roof.
They are quite a bit heavier than some roofing material options like shingles, so your roof must be able to bear the increased weight if you decide to opt for concrete tiles. Concrete tiles can cost anywhere from $6 to $12 per square foot, but there are a number of factors that can also influence the total cost of your roofing project. It is best to discuss all of these factors with your roofing contractor prior to the start of the project so that you are not surprised by the total bill.
Advantages of Concrete Tile Roofs
Whether you are replacing a damaged or old roof or you are working on new construction, the decision of what type of roof to have installed properly is an important choice.
Many homeowners feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of options that are available in the roofing industry, so it is essential that you narrow down your choice through the various benefits that the materials offer. If you are looking for highly durable roofing materials that also allow you to express a certain architectural style, you may have a specific list in mind.
When it comes to concrete tiles, here are some of the biggest and best advantages provided to homeowners who opt for a tile roof:
- Affordability: When compared to other roofing material options like clay tiles, concrete tiles are much more affordable. If you also factor in the lack of maintenance costs and the increased durability of concrete roofing, the cost of installing concrete roofs is quite reasonable.
- Durability: Many homeowners focus on the durability of their roofing materials because that indicates how often they will have to make repairs and do maintenance. With the proper installation of concrete roof materials, you will be getting a Class A fire rating, resistance to pests and rot, and the ability to withstand high winds, extreme temperatures, and seismic loads (they can survive an earthquake). Tile roofs made of concrete are expected to last over 50 years!
- Versatility in Style: With some types of roof materials, you may have to settle for what they look like and adapt around them. With other materials, though, like concrete, you can have them adapted to just about any style you desire. Architectural style can be almost anything, the appearance of the tiles can be flat or rounded, they can look like wood shakes or very old roofing, and the color options are almost limitless.
- Environmentally-friendly: These tile roofs are made of eco-friendly materials and very rarely need replacement tiles to be installed. They reduce energy costs, and, if you do decide to replace them, they can be recycled easily.
- Energy Efficiency: With concrete, you can rest assured that your cooling bills will be reduced. The tiles themselves are able to reflect heat from your home so that the indoor temperatures of the home are regulated. You will not need to use air conditioning or anything other than natural air ventilation unless the temperatures get extremely hot.
- Low Maintenance: Thankfully, concrete is one of the most durable materials available for roofs, so it does not need much maintenance and is rarely damaged. If there is a need for repairs, the roofing expert should only need to replace the damaged tiles and leave the rest of the roof structure alone.
With all of these benefits in mind, contact a trusted and experienced roofer to discuss the possibility of having a tile roof made from concrete installed on your home.
Can Ice Melt Systems Be Installed on Concrete Tile Roofing Materials?
Yes! Ice melt systems through HotEdge can be installed on just about any type of roof, including concrete. We have the knowledge, skills, and training to ensure that your home is protected from the harmful effects of ice dams during the winter months, and our ice melt systems can easily be installed on tile roofs. Our team is happy to explain all of your options to you and discuss which is the best for your roofing system.
Contact Our Ice Dam Experts to Learn More about Concrete Roof Tiles
If you are a homeowner looking for the best way to prevent ice dams and the devastating effects they can have on your roof, contact HotEdge. Our ice melt systems are designed for almost any roof, and we are excited to tell you about all of the great advantages you will receive when you have one installed on your home.
From concrete to metal roofs, asphalt shingles to clay tiles, and everything in between, our ice melt systems at HotEdge are unbeatable. When you contact us for more information, we will walk you through the process and let you know which of the options will be most effective for the type of roof you have on your house.
Call now to get started with our ice dam melting experts!